Tuesday 21 January 2014

Signal Hill (Edited from the other day)

What a great day. I got to sleep in because a crewmember owed me a watch so waking up on my own was a nice change. I showered, ate breakfast, took one of the ship's bikes, and left. It took a while to get around the bay and up the hill, partly because of a headwind and the gears on the bike which would slip under pressure. But I made it up. The view was incredible! You are 500 feet above the ocean and you can see for miles. I watched a Maersk supply ship come in, probably from one of Newfoundland's offshore oil feilds. I stopped at a geology museum on the way down the hill. Lots of interesting information about the formation of the land and how the oil exploration works there. After that I biked back to the ship, again passing rows of coloured houses and an impressive fleet of all sorts of ships. Dinner tonight was a roast and Yorkshire Pudding. Reminded me of home! We are leaving in about half an hour. There is a big storm on its way we are hoping to avoid. I'll update when I can.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan,
    Maybe some day you will visit Poldhu, Cornwall where on 12 December Marconi sent a message across the Atlantic to Signal Hill. Tis a very beautiful place and when you look seaward, the closest point is across the Atlantic.
    cheers, Maurice (a former brigantine crew member)

    ReplyDelete