Wednesday 29 January 2014

Back to Haliax

It is a cold and snowy day here in Halifax. We arrived at around six this morning after a fairly uneventful 20 hour trip.  It was really cold yesterday though, and the spray from the waves off the bow covered everything up foreward in several inches of ice in hours. Docking this morning felt a little chaotic for me. In certain ports that are less sheltered, we tie up with two extra mooring lines foreward, and two aft. Each are 600 feet long and have to be completely layed out on deck. It can get pretty confusing which goes where if you don't play close attention. Not long after we tied up, the snow started to come down very hard. So my watch this morning consisted of lotsss of shovelling. Fortunately, I had a huge breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, cereal, and pancakes so I was all set. Then lunch was cheese and bacon hamburgers with onion rings, a bean soup, and ham with delicious rasberry crumble for desert. I am well fed here. The steward likes to joke that I am putting them way over budget because of how much I eat. I work it all off though. Just staying warm can burn alot of energy!

Today was also the day the other member of my watch Gerald was sent home. He was filling in for someone who quit but the company sent him home here because his releif is joining in PEI, our next stop. It is much easier and cheaper for the company to rent him a car from here back to St. John, then from PEI. From what I'm hearing, this means a promotion for me between here and PEI! I will be on the bridge at night keeping watch, and steering the ship in and out of port (to the captain or pilot's orders). Finally I am getting to use my bridge watchman's certification for what it's meant for. Keeping watch on the bridge.

I'm going into Halifax this afternoon to hopefully meet with sone friends. We likely won't be leaving until early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment