Thursday 9 January 2014

Finally at sea!

We left St. John around 1700 (5pm) last night when the tide was high. And by high I mean it looked about 30 feet higher than it was before noon. That's the bay of Fundy for you I guess! We had a tug come to push our bow out. I was at the bow with some ABs and the bosun Myles. they worked the winches on the drums as I helped to spool the line on. We covered it with tarps to prevent it being covered in ice, secured the anchor in place, and went below. Promptly, the engine was stopped and we had to anchor to repair a fuel pump in one of the cylinders. The engineers were able to get us going again without too much hassle.
This morning was basically spent cleaning and shovelling ice off the fore deck. It's warmed up a little which is nice. Still below zero, but single digets at least. After lunch I got my first chance at the helm and got to take the ship through a course adjustment! It went pretty well but definitely takes a bit to get used too. Other than that, not a whole lot to say. We will be in Halifax tonight around 2300 to discharge cargo. Then on to America!

No comments:

Post a Comment